Lowville Free Library serves the Town of Lowville and surrounding areas by providing materials and services to help patrons meet their personal, educational and professional needs. Special emphasis is placed on providing popular materials requested by our patrons and educational materials needed by our students.
Lowville Free Library opened in 1903 in a small room on the first floor of the Town Hall Theater Building. There were less than 100 books.
The first librarian, Miss Anna E. Crawford, donated her time for the first year, after which she was paid $0.10 per hour.
After five or six years, there were enough books so that the library relocated across the street in rooms on the second floor of the Merrell block. The library received its charter in 1906.
In 1927, the present library building on Dayan Street was completed at a cost of $43,000. The site was given by Mrs. C. J. Reeder and Mrs. Harry Gould in memory of their father, R. J. Richardson, and a building fund was accumulated largely through the efforts of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a local citizen’s committee.
Read a little bit about our year!
Lowville Free Library receives public funding through Lowville Academy and Central School District, the Village of Lowville, the Town of Lowville, the Town of Watson, and Lewis County.
The remainder of the library’s funding is made up of grants, fundraisers, and donations.