We are so excited to announce that our library is now fine-free, joining all Lewis County Libraries (and 54 other North Country Library System libraries)!
Our board followed the trend happening across the North Country and across the country of libraries choosing to be fine-free. For us, choosing to be fine-free is part of making sure everyone can access library services–that the library is a safe and open place for people in our community. The COVID-19 pandemic moved the fine-free movement forward–it helped libraries explore new ways to operate. We’re excited to be fine-free, and so proud of Lewis County for being the first fine-free county in NCLS.
At Lowville, fine-free means:
- We will no longer be charging fines on overdue items, or fees to check out items. We will still be charging the replacement cost of lost and damaged items.
- You will still get email/call reminders to return items.
- Having overdue items on your card will mean that you can’t check out more items until items are renewed or returned.
- There’s no penalty when you bring things back late–what we care about is having those items back on the shelf for other patrons to use!
- Old overdue fines have been cleared (existing lost and damage costs still apply).